Have you ever wanted tacos but didn’t have the soft shells you are wanting? Well here is an easy recipe to follow. It is a bit time consuming but they turn out great!! I have noticed maybe recipes call for oil to be used. Instead of using vegetable or canola oil, I prefer to use extra virgin olive oil.
Olive oil contains more monounsaturated fats which help lower cholesterol. It also contains polyphenol from the olives themselves which contains antioxidant properties. Oil olive is a healthier, less processed option. One of the characteristics of oil olive is its distinct flavor. The flavor in my opinion does take a bit to get used to and can be a bit overpowering. So per my preference, I have cut back some of the olive oil in my recipe and substituted melted butter.
Easy Flour Tortillas:
- 3 C Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 3 T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 T Melted Butter
- 1 C Water
1. First you will need to add all the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix together.
2. Add oil and butter, combine. For this step a fork works well.
3. Add water and mix. Knead dough together with hands once it starts to form a ball.
4. Once smooth, divide into 16 formed balls. For this step, I used a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 4 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, fallen, and repeat. Now take each of 16 pieces of dough and roll into individual balls. Place back into mixing bowl.
5. Cover and set in refrigerator for 15-30 minutes for it to set. Do not leave in fridge for longer than 30 minutes as it will make the dough stiff and hard to work with.
6. Pre-heat flat skillet to high heat.
7. Roll dough on lightly floured counter with rolling pin. Roll out until dough reaches 6 inches in diameter. Tip: once to size I used a pot lid to cut dough into a circle shape.
8. Place on hot pan, no grease needed. They will bubble!! Heat until tortilla starts to become lightly brown in some areas. Flip and cook other side. Repeat with remaining dough. Tip: don’t stack tortillas prior to cooking as they will stick to each other.
Tortillas can be stored in a gallon sized Ziploc bag for up to one week. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds to soften after refrigeration. Not only can these tortillas be used for tacos, they work great for snack wraps or thin crust personal pizzas. So many options to choose from!
Disclaimer: This website may contain Affiliate Ads.